Watch for turtles on our roads from May to September! They are active during this whole time! If you find an injured turtle, you can call Kawartha Turtle Trauma Centre directly from anywhere in the province, at 705 741 5000. Our hotline is operational from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.
Follow the steps below if you find an injured turtle:
- Carefully place the injured animal in a well-ventilated plastic container with a secure lid (turtles can climb!).
- Most turtles can be picked up carefully with two hands. When handling snapping turtles keep a safe distance from their head as they will snap at you if they feel threatened. You may want to use a shovel or board to lift the turtle.
- Note the location (road, major intersections, and mileage) where the turtle was found to ensure it can be released according to provincial regulations.
- Call Kawartha at 705-741-5000 or Procyon at 905-729-0033.
- DO NOT EMAIL WITH INFORMATION ABOUT AN INJURED TURTLE. An injured animal needs medical attention as soon as possible!
- Do not transport turtles in water. Do not offer the turtle anything to eat.
- Wash your hands after handling the animal.
- If you have to keep a turtle overnight, place it in a well-ventilated container with no water and in a cool, dark place, away from pets. Leave us a message and we will get back to you when we open.
- Never attempt to treat a sick or injured wild animal yourself. Always contact your nearest licensed Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.